Need to file a lien? A lawyer is not your only option!
When faced with the decision to file a Construction Lien or Builders’
Depending on the circumstances, an Alberta Builders’ Lien Lawyer can get expensive; however, they are only one of three options open to you. Anyone can file a
Lien Filing Options
1. Individual contractors and suppliers can file on their own;
- Filing a lien on your own can be time-consuming and cost you valuable downtime dealing with administration.
- Using a lawyer can significantly add to the expense for just getting the lien on a title. Sometimes legal bills just to file a lien can be upwards of $3,000.00 or more.
- Using a lien filing agent ensures your lien is filed for a reasonable fee. Many times the lien agents’ fee can be recovered from the customer whereas the cost of your time to do it yourself cannot.
- Many Construction and Builders’ Lien lawyers are using professional lien filing agents to get liens filed. Lawyers are using lien filing agents because the lawyer does it so infrequently that it increases the probability of making a mistake.
- Construction and Builders’ Lien lawyers do not like exposing themselves to that risk, and would rather pass on that risk to a fully insured professional lien filing agent.
A lien agent will get your lien filed, and that may be all that is required to prompt payment from your customer, so why pay more than you have to? If you must sue to perfect your lien, then engage a legal professional at that time.