It's Time To
Get Paid
Office Hours
Mon-Fri (MDT)



Newfoundland & Labrador Mechanics' Lien 

At this time, Lien-Pro has discontinued providing lien filing services in Newfoundland; however, we can provide you with a referral to a preferred partner. The below information is for educational purposes only.

Newfoundland Mechanics liens in can be filed when work or services have been completed in respect to a property, or when materials have been supplied to a construction job site.  Filing a Construction Lien or Builders Lien in other provinces is the same type of instrument, as filing a Newfoundland Mechanics Lien. 

A Mechanics Lien is attached to the property where the work was completed or materials have been supplied to the job site. You will find more information on our definition page for Mechanics Liens 

Mechanics Lien Filing Deadline 

In Newfoundland, a contractor and subcontractor have 30 days from the completion or abandonment of the contract to file a Mechanics Lien.  in Newfoundland. Material suppliers have 30 days from the date that the last supplies were delivered at the job site, to file a Mechanics Lien. 

You can calculate your Newfoundland filing deadline simply use our Mechanics Lien filing deadline date calculator

Newfoundland Mechanics Lien Expiry 

Newfoundland Mechanics Liens expire 90 days after materials have been supplied or the work has been completed, unless legal action has commenced. This 90 day expiry period runs alongside the original 30 days lien expiry period in Newfoundland. For example, if you register your lien on day 30 you will then have 60 days to resolve your lien or pursue legal action in Newfoundland. 

In the event you must sue to prove your lien, it is essential for you to diarize the exact deadline of when this action must be commenced. It is your responsibility to track your deadlines. However, If you want assistance in tracking your lien filing deadlines, check out our Lien-Protection Plans

If unsure about filing a lien then you may want to at least try a Lien-Pro Demand Letter